- Free Shipping; International Shipping Available (Learn More)
- Estimated between Fri. Oct. 20 and Thu. Oct. 26 (Learn More)
- Return Policy:
- Returnable for 30 days; customer pays shipping (Learn More)
- A 1-year manufacturer's warranty is provided on furniture only. No warranty is provided for lighting, nautical, flight, museum, globe, or children's products.
If you have specific questions about this product’s guarantee, please contact our Customer Service department.
30 Minute Hourglass in Bronze and Brown
18th C. industrial design, bronze and wood.
Collectable because of their combined historical and practical
value. Some glasses measured up to two hours, used at a time when
church pews were designed by the Inquisition to torture the human
back. Ship's hourglasses were calibrated to the half hours of the
ship's watch, and if the helmsman didn't turn the glass too early
it actually doubled in defining longitude. Navigators tried to keep
count of the hours; the galleons wrecked on the Western Australian
reefs remind us of the perils of incorrectly kept time. To
appreciate the important symbolism of the hourglass observe,
Renaissance painted still lives, also called Vanitas, filled with
symbolism and morals. They very often depict hourglasses.
- Made of Brass, Glass, and Wood
- Brown, and Bronze Finish
- 3.25 in. Dia. x 5.25 in. H
- AC Voltage
- Not Powered
- Bronze • Brown
- Length (Inches)
- Glass • Metal • Wood
- Reviewed • Top Rated
- Width (Inches)
- Manufacturer SKU
Need more information?
Our staff are available to answer any questions you may have about this item.