- Free Shipping (Learn More)
- Estimated between Thu. Sep. 20 and Wed. Sep. 26 (Learn More)
- Return Policy:
- Returnable for 30 days; customer pays shipping (Learn More)
- If you have specific questions about this product’s guarantee, please contact our Customer Service department.
Japanese Rush Grass Tatami Mat
Straight from the Far East, where they have been
making Tatami for hundreds of years. Tatami mats started as floor
coverings and were also used to make chairs or benches by placing
several Tatami on top of each other. When they were first made,
Tatami mats were seen as luxury items for the wealthy when most
people had dirt floors. Another function of Tatami was to indicate
rank. The most exalted members of a ceremony or gathering were
given the privilege of sitting on the Tatami, while others sat on
the wooden floor. Tatami mats are much more widely used today, but
are still employed for Japanese religious rites and tea ceremonies.
Our Tatami mats can be used in a variety of ways. Floor coverings
are the most popular option, but benches, stools, tables and desks
can also be constructed using multiple Tatami.
- Includes a moisture resistant barrier in the foundation of the
- Constructed of Japanese Rush Grass with a double layer top for
- Inside is a baked dried rice straw fill for strength and
- Sewn with a black fabric border and bound with twine
- Queen: 80 in. L x 30 in. W x 2 in. H (70 lbs.)
- King: 80 in. L x 38 in. W x 2 in. H (75 lbs.)
- California King: 84 in. L x 36 in. W x 2 in. H (80 lbs.)
Need more information?
Our staff are available to answer any questions you may have about this item.